Our half-of-a-pig delivery came with some delicious breakfast sausage and Sam found a recipe for biscuits and gravy immediately. He has made this a couple times now and it is our new go-to breakfast recipe for when we have guests. Rave reviews so far! The combination is just decadent, it is hard to believe that it is so healthy. The kick of the fresh jalapeño is the perfect compliment to the sweet biscuits and gravy.
This was another amazing find from PaleOMG.com. Now that we are eating pork and beef, our Google searches always include the keywords “paleo” or “paleomg.” We have yet to not absolutely love one of her recipes.
- 1-2 sweet potatoes (about 2 cups mashed)
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 3 Tbsp coconut flour
- 4-5 shrimp, cooked, diced small (optional)
- 3 Tbsp bacon fat or butter, melted
- 1 jalapeño, thinly diced
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- fresh ground salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Pork holes in your sweet potato with a fork and wrap in a damp paper towl. Microwave for 8 minutes, turn over, and microwave for 4 minutes or until completely cooked.
- Peel sweet potato, place in a bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Add the eggs and mix well with the mashed sweet potato. Then add in the bacon fat or butter and mix well.
- Add your dry ingredients: coconut flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. I sift in the coconut flour as it tends to clump. Mix well.
- Finally add your diced cooked shrimp (optional) and jalapeños. Mix well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and scoop biscuits on the sheet. Use an ice cream scoop or a 1/4 cup measuring cup. Try to make them all equal in size so they cook the same.
- Place in oven and bake for 22-27 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for five minutes.
While those bad boys are baking, whip up your delicious gravy!
- 1 (14 ounce) can of coconut milk
- 1 pound pork breakfast sausage
- 3 Tbsp coconut flour (or arrowroot powder)
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp dried sage
- ⅛ tsp smoke paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat a cast iron pan. Add the breakfast sausage to the pan and cook until you no longer see any pink, breaking up the sausage as it cooks.
- Once meat is cooked through, remove with slotted spoon and set to the side.
- Pour the coconut milk into the pan and whisk for a minute while it heats up.
- Slowly add in the coconut powder, whisking constantly to break up lumps, until the gravy has your desired consistency.
- Whisk in the parsley, garlic powder, sage, smoked paprika and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add breakfast sausage back in. Taste and salt and pepper as needed.
- Plate two biscuits and smother in a generous scoop of gravy. Grind a little fresh pepper over the top and sprinkle with parsley for a splash of color!
For my vegan/vegetarian friends, I’ve made the gravy with Morningstar breakfast sausage and it turned out great! And also for my vegan friends, obviously the gravy can be used with any vegan biscuits, and I also found this recipe for Vegan Sweet Potato Biscuits that looks pretty promising. If you try it (or a different one), let me know how they turn out!
Recipe credit: PaleOMG.com