A versatile and handy cream substitute – great for vegans, lactose allergies, and just for switching things up once in a while! I love that I can scale this recipe to make exactly enough cream for a recipe. It’s a great way to avoid opening a can of coconut milk, using a couple tablespoons of it, and letting the rest go to waste.
I always use cashew cream in my Chocolate Chili Macaroons, and I’ve also used it in quinoa risotto in lieu of heavy cream. Store in a sealed container and it will keep in the fridge for a few days!
- 3/4 cups raw unsalted cashews
- 1/2 cup cold water
- juice from 1/2 of a lemon (about 2 Tbsp)
- Add cashews, water, and lemon juice to a food processor or blender.
- Blend until a thick puree forms. Scrape down the sides of the bowl one time to catch any small cashew pieces trying to jump out of the way!
- Store in the fridge in a sealed container.