Sometimes you just gotta have some chocolate waffles. I am here to assist you in that endeavor. I grabbed a delish-looking recipe from PaleOMG.com and tweaked it just a bit, then added fresh strawberries because duh.
- 1 c. almond meal
- 1/3 c. canned coconut milk
- 1/4 c. dark chocolate chips
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 heaping tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup, honey, or agave nectar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Thoroughly mix all waffle ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat waffle iron to medium setting – my waffle iron goes up to 5 and I use 3 1/2. (I’ve had it for five years, still works like a charm!)
- When the iron is ready, spray with olive or coconut oil.
- Scoop about 1/3 c. batter onto waffle iron and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Close and cook until done.
- Serve hot! Top with fresh strawberries, strawberry syrup*, whipped cream, or whatever else sounds like it will just make your day.
- MAKE SURE to spray the waffle iron again before every waffle! This recipe isn’t as heavy on oil as a lot of standard waffle recipes so they need a little extra help not sticking.
Serves 2-3. I ended up tripling the recipe to serve 6 which conveniently used most of my can of coconut milk.
*Strawberry syrup you say?! I had a big bag of sliced strawberries in the freezer, so tossed them in the blender with a bit of water and natural sweetener (honey or agave nectar), then simmered on the stove for about 30 minutes. It was perfection served warm over crispy chocolate waffles with gooey chocolate chips inside.
Recipe Credit: PaleOMG.com